Friday, November 1, 2013

Home away from Home

How many of you have a place that no matter how long it has been since you've visited it feels just like home when you get there?  I do.  And for me that place is Maine (technically Maine if my home.  I was born in Bangor, but I haven't lived there since I was 2).  I LOVE going to Maine!  The air is fresh, the scenery if beautiful, and the way of life is just peaceful.  I grew up spending my summers at a family home in Kennebunkport ME.  Summers were spent with cousins, Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents.  Days on the Beach or at the community center trying to play playing tennis. 

Now my parents own a home in a small town further north in Maine called Gouldsboro.  This house is one of my favorite places to go.  No internet, no cable, there is a TV (but it is only used at night for family movie time).     

Now I go to Maine in the summer when I can.   I was lucky to be able to make it this summer for about 10 days (I could have stayed for weeks months!)  I missed going last summer so I was super excited to get to go this summer.  I did miss having Chris with me since he was still in Rhode Island at OCS.  He really loves going to Maine and it made me a little sad to know how much he would have enjoyed spending that time with me.  But the silver lining was getting to spend very special time with my parents.  

We had beautiful weather, spent lots of time outside going to Schoodic Point, Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mountain and on the few days we had foggy/raining weather we went to Antique Shops.  (I have decided that going to Antique shops can be a lot of fun. If I hadn't been so far from home and about to move I probably would bought quite a few items).  

I have added just a few lot of photos from my trip.  Here is what my little time in Maine looked like.

My great-grandparents headstones and pretty sundial.   My great grandfather was born 100 years before me, pretty amazing. 
Schoodic Point: part of Acadia National Park.  We are very lucky this is wonderful and beautiful park is actually located on the same peninsula as our house. 




The hummingbirds came around daily to the flowers outside the house to feed!



Maine Lobster!!

Mom and Dad with the Lobsters


Prospect Harbor: A tiny lobster harbor, on the small beach you are able to find sea glass.

This is what happens when you get my Mom and I together!  Silly hats and Plant mustaches!!


Cadillac Mountain with a view of Bar Harbor
I miss being in Maine as soon as I left.  I can't wait until I can return (hopefully next summer).  Where is your home away from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment